I’ve decided to take part in Ben Sime’s continuation of Tale of Malifaux Bloggers. As a quick recap, the idea is to build up a collection over time. Each month you get an allowance to buy, then build, paint, play, and finally ruminate on a set of models. As Ben is in the UK, he’s established £60 for the first month and £25 in following. I’m interpreting that as $60 and $22.50.
After being inspired by Episode 19 of the Before We Begin podcast, I’ve decided on Zoraida. Yes, I’ve already got a ton of Neverborn. That actually makes it a little more interesting, because I’ll want to avoid anything I already have. There’s also the possibility of expanding into Gremlins.
In Before We Begin, Ewan Smart describes a Zoraida crew based around a bunch of Swampfiends being annoying everywhere, plus the Voodoo Doll comboed with a Sorrow. That sounded pretty awesome, so I’m going to see if I can put my own twist on it.
For the first month, I’ll start with the Swamp Hag box. I’m a firm believer in paying where you play, so I picked it up at Game Kastle while I was playing the league game. That uses $50 of my $60 first month budget. I’ll save the rest for next month.
Hobby time has been a bit elusive, but I have been working on this Razorwing.
The base is all done. It’s continuing with my dead Necron theme, with a piece of wing from a Night Scythe. I’m trying to evoke the wreckage scraping off the frozen surface of the ground when it slid to a halt. I like the color of the exposed dirt (a combination of paint and weathering powders), though I wish it had a bit more texture. As it is, it’s just the surface of the plastic base. I didn’t have anything finer than the sand I used for the rest of the base.
The sprue bits are supposed to represent random bits of wreckage, but they look more like sprue than I would have liked.
I’m very proud of the bullet holes. It’s the first time I’ve tried it. I just drilled a hole with a pin vice, expanded it a bit with a hobby knife, then cut out little wedges.
As I usually do for these kinds of models, I painted inner bits first. That means the pilot, cockpit, and engine were done before I glued the main fuselage together. I masked off the canopy with Tamiya masking tape, and this part of the engines with blobs of wet tissue paper. The gun mounts are the same, and are magnetized so I can swap weapon types.
The rear engines were also done before assembly, then carefully masked off with Tamiya tape. This probably wasn’t actually worth doing for this model. I thought there was a bit more space between the engine nozzles and the overhangs on the fuselage. You can’t tell that it’s painted underneath.
Hopefully I can wrap this up over the next week, and can then turn my attention to the Reaper I bought with the Revenant Titan many months ago.