Arcanists: Ironsides Crew Box

I’ve been mostly focusing on Resurrectionists since third edition dropped. But it’s time to take a diversion back to the Arcanists. Like the Ressers, I initially did Arcanists for the limited edition crews. It’s time to branch out.


The crew box contents got reshuffled between M2E and M3E, though no new sculpts.

Amina Naidu

For whatever reason I decided to use the GW Contrast green I have on Amina. That sure is a lot brighter than what I usually use.


Mouse is one of the stranger Malifaux models I’ve done. He’s this weird dwarf guy, carrying a small keg for some reason.

The miners are the newly core minion for Ironsides.

Ironsides Core Box

Max: Rippa’s Snarlfangs

Just like Ruth’s treefolk, I picked these up for Max in lieu of an Adepticon model.


Max had fun helping with assembly. The Underworlds kits are press-fit, but I still glued them.


Max also carefully studied the box art to determine what colors to paint everything. He still needs some work on getting full coverage, but is improving.


We haven’t played a formal game with them yet, but Max has definitely lined them up against other models and done battle. He likes hooking the spear between the arms of other, lesser, creatures.

Max’s Rippa’s Snarlfangs

Ruth: Ylthari’s Guardians

For the last few years, I’ve picked up models at Adepticon for the the kids to paint. This year, with no Adepticon, I had to do something else. Ruth had mentioned liking these treefolk while at the shop with me, so I picked up the box for her.


This was also the excuse I used to buy GW Contrast paints, though I’ve certainly used them for myself.


Ruth carefully studied the box art when deciding how to paint her tree friends.

Gallanghann of the Glade

We’ve also played a game of Underworlds with it. Ruth declares that her favorite warband is still the Sepulchral Guard, though. She likes the ability to bring her guys back after they get killed.

Ruth’s Ylthari’s Guardians

Fallout: Hammer

Hammer is the character expansion for the Super Mutants from the first wave. He comes with a mutant hound, which unfortunately is one of the same sculpts from the two-player starter and the faction box. I left the hound in the stash.


I had a lot of fun weathering the armor, with lots of rust and verdigris. His shirt is pretty clean, which helps to keep him from turning into pile of brown.

Hobby, games, and other amusements