Fyreslayers: Vulkite Berzerkers

After a pile of heroes, all that’s left in the Start Collecting box is a unit of 10 Vulkite Berzerkers, the Fyreslayers battleline basic troops.

There are a couple of weapon options: twin axes, axe and shield, and pick and shield. I decided to start out with the twin axes. They’re nice dynamic poses, but unfortunately take a bunch of space in the case. I intend to build at least two units of these guys, so I’ll probably go with pick and shield for the other one. Annoyingly (for a mostly small-model count gamer) the Vulkites have a special rule where they get more resilient the larger the unit. So there are probably lots of these dudes in my future.

Unlike the heroes, the infantry just get a few small slate chips on the bases, with Astrogranite Debris filling in the rest.

 

Vulkite Berzerkers (group)

Fyreslayers: Runesmiter

Rounding out the Start Collecting heroes is the Runesmiter.

Runesmiter

Like the Runeson, I decided to skip magnetizing the mount point for putting the Runesmiter on a Magmadroth.

All my Fyreslayer heroes are getting slate platforms to stand on. Regular infantry will get a few chips, so this helps to make the heroes stand out a bit.

Each of the heroes has also gotten their own mohawk pattern. The Runefather was all pale, the Runeson got stripes. The Runesmiter gets a fade. Regular infantry will get simpler styles.

Fyreslayers: Runeson

Next up for the Fyreslayers is the Runeson.

Runeson (javelin)

This model was actually my test piece for the Fyreslayers. I used the Secret Weapon flesh wash, which has a lot more yellow than the Reaper wash I usually use for flesh. As usual, I was unhappy with the results, and switched back to Reaper for production. Everything else I kept pretty much the same.

Runeson (axe)

I magnetized the weapon, because I’m not sure how I want to equip him. The Magmadroth kit comes with one set of standing legs and one set of rider legs. I decided not to magnetize the legs and just make the Runefather mounted and the Runeson standing. I should end up with enough parts from other kits to vary the rider, and I wanted to minimize the fiddliness.