I scored a Blackstone Fortress box as a Christmas gift. My hope for it was to play on my own, with the kids coming and going as they pleased. And of course, get a fresh taste of 40k painting, to go with the Underworlds and Blitz Bowl I’ve been enjoying.
I’ve been playing a session every weekend, and having a ton of fun. The kids are mostly with me. It does work well for them to drop in and out. Many a dinner conversation is about our exploits to date.
I wanted to do something interesting for the bases, but not shell out for resin ones. I settled on hexes (masked with cut out tape, airbrushed, then edge highlighted by hand), pipes (made with my trusty Tentacle Maker), and good old fashioned sand (painted grey). The hexes mesh well with the general aesthetic of the game, and the sand hides slots and reduces the number of tiny hexagons I need to cut and place.
Ever since these were announced, I wanted them. But I didn’t have much of an excuse. They’re bulky, and I mostly play in stores. Well, the store excuse fell away. Plus they’re getting hard to find. I guess it was time!
The tiles are one-foot squares, which lines up perfectly with Fallout’s Into the Wasteland scenarios. They come as bare grey plastic, but the detail is such that they paint up quickly. I mostly followed the guide on Secret Weapon’s blog. Airbrush the ground and debris, then pigment wash in the dust. I added in some drybrushing and stippling for extra color.
Maybe I should pick up some more themes before it’s too late.