I’ve been eyeing these MDF kits from Sarissa for quite some time. I finally bought them to get to free shipping from a Warlord clearance sale. The rest of the purchase has been sitting sadly in a drawer, but at least these buildings got done.
I tried a new technique with these kits. I often feel like MDF kits end up really flat, To try to address it, I made washes out of acrylic, but then used it more like an oil wash. I first applied it really sloppy, then went back and softened the edges. I had to move quickly because the wood soaked up the moisture pretty quickly.
With this technique I managed to get a lot of variance of color, especially for shading in the inside corners, like the framing on the rice huts. I like the streaks on the roof, but there’s not enough variation.
I originally was eyeing these kits for Bushido, though I haven’t actually played it at all. I’m thinking it would also work for a fantasy setting like Relicblade.
From time to time I’ll reach into the hobby vault to feature models painted before I started this blog.
I painted these two Predators some time apart from each other.
The first was done quick in a week ahead of an event (a narrative event at (I think) DunDraCon that involved taking 500 points of “allies” (back in 5th edition before the allies was part of the game) which. In the last game of the event everyone’s allies betrayed them after deployment. Your opponent got to control them. I had Orks as the allies, but wanted to beef up my main force.
I think the second was just simple force expansion.
As usual for my marines, the weapons and sponsons are all magnetized, so they can be used in a variety of configuration.
This model was my entry for the January Game Kastle Proam. $5 buys you the model for the month. Photographs are due at the end of the month. January’s model was Superman from Knight Model’s DC Universe game.
Because I have to be special, I wasn’t satisfied with any of the options presented in the package (Superman, Bizarro, and Red Sun shields are all included). Instead I went digging through Superman costumes and came up with Godfall.
I added shoulder straps, belt, and built up the boot armor pads with green stuff. The rest is just paint.
This Battlesmith is the last of my backlogged painted Fyreslayers. I shook things up a bit by making his mohawk the red I use as an accent elsewhere, and a silver helm.
The Age of Sigmar escalation league I was participating in collapsed, so this is the last of the Sigmar models I’ve painted. I do have enough on sprue to get to a full (if suboptimal) 2000 points. I hope to return to finish it off sometime.