Every modern board needs more vehicles. So I was excited by this kit.
And then promptly annoyed. It actually only has one truck. It’s got two backs, but only a single chassis and cab.
So I didn’t glue down the cargo body. I have vague ideas about making a platform the tank could go on, but haven’t actually made any progress towards it. I just wish they put a little more plastic in the box to make this kit way more useful.
The Crisis Protocol core set has a nice package of terrain, but you can never have enough. This construction site stuff helps to round it out, still useful for any modern game setting.
The construction office is much bigger than the Daily Bugle newstand in the core set. I used a similar streaking oil wash technique, with the addition of some rain marks.
The loader was a bit of a pain to paint. The arms made it difficult to get at the cab. But the way the model is constructed doesn’t lend itself to painting in subassemblies. I used a mix of Tamiya panel liner and sponge rust chipping.
The mixer had all the same subassembly issues as the loader.
The set came with a bunch of smaller barrels and road barriers. If I were smarter, I might have saved some to fill out larger based models. I guess it’s not too late. In the meantime, they can fill out the board a bit.
The Crisis Protocol core box comes with a nice selection of city terrain. Throwing terrain around is a core aspect of the game, so it’s good to have it nicely represented. It also formed a solid base for a modern table.
The Daily Bugle newstand is the biggest piece in the set. I’m very pleased with how it turned out. Most of the shading was done with an airbrush, enhanced with an oil wash. I pulled down the wash to form dirty streaks.
Daily Bugle detail
This poster was printed from online. My home printer is black and white, so I colored it with some waterproof markers. I tried a couple of techniques to weather the paper — soak in tea, paint with a thinned acrylic wash, paint with thinned GW Contrast paints. The tea worked best, but it still didn’t quite work for me. Finally, I rubbed it my fingers stained from the oil wash. This added the perfect amount of grime.
Crisis Protocol dumpsters
The dumpsters are a pretty standard sponge chip rust application.
Crisis Protocol taxi
Crisis Protocol sedan
I used Tamiya panel liner to try to bring out the panel lines on the cars, to mixed success. I also applied a few dots of the liner as a stain, which I’d also call a partial success.
Crisis Protocol street lights
Crisis Protocol stoplights
Street lights and stoplights just add a bit more life to the table.