Ultramarines: Another Tactical Squad

This is the second Tactical Squad I bought as part of the Strikeforce.  Now I’ve got the other Tactical, Scouts, Razorback, and Drop Pod done from that box.  That’s all that I’m planning to do for now, although the idea of the Deathwatch Dreadnought does intrigue me.

Tactical Squad V (sergeant, front)
Tactical Squad V (sergeant, front)

Once again, I’m using Custom Minis tactical shoulder pads and GW Ultramarines ones.

Tactical Squad V (sergeant, back)
Tactical Squad V (sergeant, back)

This is the fourth tact squad in my adult hobby career, but I use markings for the 5th squad.  The first one I painted has plain blue pads.  The second and third are marked I and II.  I decided to use V on these, since I thought it would fit the raised arrow better than III or IV.

Tactical Squad V (heavy/special, front)
Tactical Squad V (heavy/special, front)

Of course, the special weapon is magnetized.  Sadly, the only heavy that comes in the box is the missile launcher.

Tactical Squad V (heavy/special, front)
Tactical Squad V (heavy/special, front)

I finished this unit off just in time for the Inquisition War finale.  It’s going to be an apoc-lite game, so it may not even be silly to have four tact squads running around.

Reaper: Ape-X

Ape-X is another Reaper Bones miniature from the first Kickstarter.  I decided that I was tired of doing brown all the time, so went for green.  Giant mutant cyborg gorillas don’t have to be realistic, right?

Ape-X

I kept it really simple, just a basecoat, wash, and drybrush.  It’s not going to win any awards, but it still looks nice.

Updated February 2018 with improved images.

Ultramarines: Assault Terminators Rebased

I bought these metal assault terminators back in the days of yore, and painted them up a couple years ago, when I got back into 40k.  At the time I left them on the 25mm bases they came with, but always felt a little dirty using them.  The time had come to make the move to 40mm, like modern terminators.

I was worried about them looking small on the new bases, so I decided to go for some Secret Weapon urban bases, like I used on the Deathwatch squad.

New 40mm bases
New 40mm bases

I decided to play with some weathering powders.  I was planning on putting some of the static grass and flock I use for most of the army, to bring it together, so put in some browns in a few places to represent dirt coming through the cracked asphalt.  I also tried putting some red around some of the bricks, to try to represent some bricks getting crushed and spread out, though I don’t think it really worked too well.

Terminators (front)
Terminators (front)

I snapped off the old bases and cut off the metal tab with a razor saw.  The feet needed a little touching up with black paint from where I cut.

Terminators (rear right)
Terminators (rear right)

I found a spot on each base where the feet would be flat, and pinned them in.

Terminators (rear left)
Terminators (rear left)

All in all I think they fill the base out pretty nicely, especially the lightning claws.

Terminators (the rest)
Terminators (the rest)

Here you can see the static grass which hopefully ties it into the rest of the army.

Terminators (base view)
Terminators (base view)

Someday I might rebase everybody, but for now I’m telling myself that they’re tied in closely enough.

Reaper: Griffon

I’ve slowed down on the Random Rursday thing.  I found it had become something of a chore, and I stopped getting Thursday nights as reliable hobby nights.  I also found I wasn’t really giving enough time for paint to dry between stages.

I’m still painting some random miniatures between other projects, just without a specific schedule.

The Griffon is a Reaper Bones model.  I like the textures in the fur and in the feathers.  The base even is a bit more interesting than most of the Reaper models, with some stones sculpted in.

Griffon

I regret not doing a bit more variation in the front section, especially on the wings.  This is a big enough model that it looks kind of sparse.  On the other hand, I’m not sure I wanted to spend much more time on this model.

I put some flock and static grass on the base, because I wasn’t very happy with how my painting of the grassy parts turned out.

Updated February 2018 with improved images.