Ghosts of Random Rursdays Past: Ape with Stone Sword

On Thursdays, I like to take a break from my army projects.  Instead, I try to do something that I can start and complete all in one evening.

I’ve decided to participate in Wyrd’s summer painting contest, as an excuse to pick up some Malifaux models.  One of the contest rules is no posting about it before the contest ends, so I’ll post about an old model instead.

Ape with Stone Sword
Ape with Stone Sword

I painted this guy at a paint’n’take event at Kublacon in 2012.  This was with the paints and brushes provided by the event, which were not quite up to my normal standards.  It was a lot of fun to work within the constraints though (which paint bottle isn’t completely dried?  where can I find/make a highlight color?  are there any brushes with any kind of point?).  It was also the first time I did a model entirely in one sitting, which eventually lead to Random Rursdays.

I don’t know who made this model, although I think he’s pretty cool.  I’m happy with the skin, fur, and sword.  I’m less happy with the base (it’s kind of a goofy color), loincloth, and necklace.

Ultramarines: Old School Whirlwind

This is the third and final tank from this batch.  This was the first 40k tank I bought with my own money (as opposed to a gift), way back when it was released in 1995.  I painted it at the time, although not nearly to my current standards.  Unfortunately, I failed to take a picture before I re-primed it.

The chassis is a white plastic, and the turret and radar dish thing are pewter.

Whirlwind (front)
Whirlwind (front)

I’ve mostly been using Reaper’s Brown Wash on metals, before the final drybrush highlights.  On this model I decided to try Secret Weapon’s Armor Wash.  It’s a lot darker, and gives more of an oily look.  I like it, although maybe not for the Ultramarines.

Whirlwind (side)
Whirlwind (side)

I used the weathering powders here again.  I think it added a nice dirty look to it, although I need to play with other weathering techniques.  I went from bright to dark browns on this one, reversed from the Stalker, I went from bright to dark browns on this one.  It ended up with a much sandier look, which wasn’t really what I’m going for here.  I like experimenting, even when it’s not quite the result I want.

Whirlwind (detail)
Whirlwind (detail)

The embedded marine here is really pretty shallow, and kind of hard to paint.

Whirlwind (back)
Whirlwind (back)

For bonus geek and/or hoarding points, I’ve kept the White Dwarf introducing the kit.

Random Rursday: Agramon, Pit Devil

On Thursdays, I like to take a break from my army projects.  Instead, I try to do something that I can start and complete all in one evening.

Agramon the  Pit Fiend is one of the bigger, upgrade models from the Reaper Bones Kickstarter.  It was big enough that it took two days to complete.

I first tried doing the blue flame and eyes in Reapers gray blues triad, but it ended up way too gray, and not at all blue-flamey.  So I repainted it with the ultramarine blues.

Agramon, Pit Fiend (front)
Agramon, Pit Fiend (front)

 

Agramon, Pit Fiend (left)
Agramon, Pit Fiend (left)

 

Agramon, Pit Fiend (back)
Agramon, Pit Fiend (back)

 

Agramon, Pit Fiend (right)
Agramon, Pit Fiend (right)

 

Ultramarines: Stalker/Hunter

This Stalker (and Hunter) is the second tank I finished in time for last week’s Inquisition event.  It’s the new anti-flyer tank added in the 6th edition Space Marines codex from last year.  I guess this isn’t really a new kit anymore, but I still haven’t seen one in the wild.

Space Marine Stalker (front)
Space Marine Stalker (front)
Space Marine Stalker (side)
Space Marine Stalker (side)

I went a lot heavier on the Secret Weapon weathering powders on this model than I did on the Land Speeder.  On this one, I started with the darkest earth tone I have (Dark Earth), covering maybe 60% of the area along the bottom that I imagined would be dirty.  Then I went lighter and covered the remaining 25% and 15% (plus overlap) with progressively lighter tones (Terracotta and Dark Yellow).  I think it worked pretty well.

I also put on some Exhaust Blast around the smokestacks.  I think I should have applied it to a smaller area.  There’s also a touch of Exhaust Black applied to the end of the gun muzzles, which I think turned out well.

Space Marine Stalker (rear)
Space Marine Stalker (rear)

I used Secret Weapon’s fixer, dabbing it over the parts that I applied powders.  It then spreads itself out.  It did leave quite a bit of a sheen as tide marks, since I didn’t cover the full model.  I hit the whole thing with dullcote after, though, which pulled this back pretty well.

Space Marine Hunter
Space Marine Hunter

I tend to try to make all the stuff out of the box.  This gives me lots of options, although it does keep stuff from making it into the bits box.  I don’t really intend to play this as a Hunter much, but I do love how the lenses turned out.

Of course, since I had just finished this, I had to shoehorn it into the games I played on the weekend.  In the first, I was one of two players attempting to rescue a Inquisitor which had been taken hostage.  The defender got a bunch of fortifications (two bastions, an aegis line with two quad guns, and a couple of bunkers).  That left little room for flyers.

The Hunter/Stalker doesn’t have Interceptor, so it can only fire at full BS at flyers and skimmers.  Fortunately, I knew the defender was playing Eldar, so I figured he’d probably have a couple skimmers.  Unfortunately (for the Stalker), the one Fire Prism on the field was destroyed before I had a chance to shoot.  It spent the rest of the game taking BS1 potshots at random units.