More Ultramarines, hot on the heels of the tanks. This time I’ve done a set of the plastic sniper scouts, which I got as part of the strike force.
Scouts have small shoulder pads, and I didn’t have the small-U decals. I did have some from the old space marine bike set that had a the U in a circle, so I just trimmed off the circle. I think it works pretty well.
I decided to use the pointing hand on the sergeant, since just about everybody puts on the other hand. I should have put the scope back on his rifle, though.
I was pleased to see that it had parts to either do the missile launcher guy or another sniper — including the torso and head. All you need to do to field both is to find some legs and a base. As luck would have it, I have some scout legs in my bits box.
I somehow missed that the crouching guy had his own torso, complete with cloak that goes around the leg. I noticed after basecoating, and was able to correct it without any real problems.
On Thursdays, I like to take a break from my army projects. Instead, I try to do something that I can start and complete all in one evening.
I’ve decided to participate in Wyrd’s summer painting contest, as an excuse to pick up some Malifaux models. One of the contest rules is no posting about it before the contest ends, so I’ll post about an old model instead.
I painted this guy at a paint’n’take event at Kublacon in 2012. This was with the paints and brushes provided by the event, which were not quite up to my normal standards. It was a lot of fun to work within the constraints though (which paint bottle isn’t completely dried? where can I find/make a highlight color? are there any brushes with any kind of point?). It was also the first time I did a model entirely in one sitting, which eventually lead to Random Rursdays.
I don’t know who made this model, although I think he’s pretty cool. I’m happy with the skin, fur, and sword. I’m less happy with the base (it’s kind of a goofy color), loincloth, and necklace.
This is the third and final tank from this batch. This was the first 40k tank I bought with my own money (as opposed to a gift), way back when it was released in 1995. I painted it at the time, although not nearly to my current standards. Unfortunately, I failed to take a picture before I re-primed it.
The chassis is a white plastic, and the turret and radar dish thing are pewter. I’ve mostly been using Reaper’s Brown Wash on metals, before the final drybrush highlights. On this model I decided to try Secret Weapon’s Armor Wash. It’s a lot darker, and gives more of an oily look. I like it, although maybe not for the Ultramarines.
I used the weathering powders here again. I think it added a nice dirty look to it, although I need to play with other weathering techniques. I went from bright to dark browns on this one, reversed from the Stalker, I went from bright to dark browns on this one. It ended up with a much sandier look, which wasn’t really what I’m going for here. I like experimenting, even when it’s not quite the result I want.
For bonus geek and/or hoarding points, I’ve kept the White Dwarf introducing the kit.