This is the third and final tank from this batch. This was the first 40k tank I bought with my own money (as opposed to a gift), way back when it was released in 1995. I painted it at the time, although not nearly to my current standards. Unfortunately, I failed to take a picture before I re-primed it.
The chassis is a white plastic, and the turret and radar dish thing are pewter. I’ve mostly been using Reaper’s Brown Wash on metals, before the final drybrush highlights. On this model I decided to try Secret Weapon’s Armor Wash. It’s a lot darker, and gives more of an oily look. I like it, although maybe not for the Ultramarines.
I used the weathering powders here again. I think it added a nice dirty look to it, although I need to play with other weathering techniques. I went from bright to dark browns on this one, reversed from the Stalker, I went from bright to dark browns on this one. It ended up with a much sandier look, which wasn’t really what I’m going for here. I like experimenting, even when it’s not quite the result I want.
For bonus geek and/or hoarding points, I’ve kept the White Dwarf introducing the kit.
This Stalker (and Hunter) is the second tank I finished in time for last week’s Inquisition event. It’s the new anti-flyer tank added in the 6th edition Space Marines codex from last year. I guess this isn’t really a new kit anymore, but I still haven’t seen one in the wild.
I went a lot heavier on the Secret Weapon weathering powders on this model than I did on the Land Speeder. On this one, I started with the darkest earth tone I have (Dark Earth), covering maybe 60% of the area along the bottom that I imagined would be dirty. Then I went lighter and covered the remaining 25% and 15% (plus overlap) with progressively lighter tones (Terracotta and Dark Yellow). I think it worked pretty well.
I also put on some Exhaust Blast around the smokestacks. I think I should have applied it to a smaller area. There’s also a touch of Exhaust Black applied to the end of the gun muzzles, which I think turned out well.
I used Secret Weapon’s fixer, dabbing it over the parts that I applied powders. It then spreads itself out. It did leave quite a bit of a sheen as tide marks, since I didn’t cover the full model. I hit the whole thing with dullcote after, though, which pulled this back pretty well.
I tend to try to make all the stuff out of the box. This gives me lots of options, although it does keep stuff from making it into the bits box. I don’t really intend to play this as a Hunter much, but I do love how the lenses turned out.
Of course, since I had just finished this, I had to shoehorn it into the games I played on the weekend. In the first, I was one of two players attempting to rescue a Inquisitor which had been taken hostage. The defender got a bunch of fortifications (two bastions, an aegis line with two quad guns, and a couple of bunkers). That left little room for flyers.
The Hunter/Stalker doesn’t have Interceptor, so it can only fire at full BS at flyers and skimmers. Fortunately, I knew the defender was playing Eldar, so I figured he’d probably have a couple skimmers. Unfortunately (for the Stalker), the one Fire Prism on the field was destroyed before I had a chance to shoot. It spent the rest of the game taking BS1 potshots at random units.
Just in time for the second Inquisition War event on Saturday, I completed a set of three Ultramarines vehicles. First, I’ll talk about this Land Speeder.
As usual, it’s all magnetized up. The missile launchers are swappable for plain hull walls, and the hull/pintle weapons can be added or removed.
The U on the top is from the Ultramarines brass etch set from Forge World. Most of the VII decals are actually from a very old Space Marine Bike Squad decal sheet, purchased in about 2000. They still work pretty well, although I ended up using Future to get a couple of them to stick well.
This is also the first time I’ve used weathering pigments. I went for a pretty minimal look on this one. Since it’s supposed to be a skimmer, I figured there wouldn’t be so much dirt on it. I just put a bit on the grav plating and along the bottom.