While I was painting up the last Tactical Squad, I added one more into the mix.
I bought a devastator box for cheap over a year ago, and have waffled on what exactly to do with it. It doesn’t have enough included duplicated weapons to make an effective Devastator Squad or to equip a bunch of Tacticals.
I decided that I was letting the indecision hold me back from doing anything with them, so I’d make up the multimelta as an option for one of the tacticals.
I went with marking it for Squad I, since that’s the one without raised Ultramarines shoulder pads, so I thought it would fit in the best.
The end of the backlog is so close I can taste it. Just one more Reaper Bones to go!
This is the second Tactical Squad I bought as part of the Strikeforce. Now I’ve got the other Tactical, Scouts, Razorback, and Drop Pod done from that box. That’s all that I’m planning to do for now, although the idea of the Deathwatch Dreadnought does intrigue me.
Once again, I’m using Custom Minis tactical shoulder pads and GW Ultramarines ones.
This is the fourth tact squad in my adult hobby career, but I use markings for the 5th squad. The first one I painted has plain blue pads. The second and third are marked I and II. I decided to use V on these, since I thought it would fit the raised arrow better than III or IV.
Of course, the special weapon is magnetized. Sadly, the only heavy that comes in the box is the missile launcher.
I finished this unit off just in time for the Inquisition War finale. It’s going to be an apoc-lite game, so it may not even be silly to have four tact squads running around.
Ape-X is another Reaper Bones miniature from the first Kickstarter. I decided that I was tired of doing brown all the time, so went for green. Giant mutant cyborg gorillas don’t have to be realistic, right?
I kept it really simple, just a basecoat, wash, and drybrush. It’s not going to win any awards, but it still looks nice.
I bought these metal assault terminators back in the days of yore, and painted them up a couple years ago, when I got back into 40k. At the time I left them on the 25mm bases they came with, but always felt a little dirty using them. The time had come to make the move to 40mm, like modern terminators.
I decided to play with some weathering powders. I was planning on putting some of the static grass and flock I use for most of the army, to bring it together, so put in some browns in a few places to represent dirt coming through the cracked asphalt. I also tried putting some red around some of the bricks, to try to represent some bricks getting crushed and spread out, though I don’t think it really worked too well.
I snapped off the old bases and cut off the metal tab with a razor saw. The feet needed a little touching up with black paint from where I cut. I found a spot on each base where the feet would be flat, and pinned them in.
All in all I think they fill the base out pretty nicely, especially the lightning claws. Here you can see the static grass which hopefully ties it into the rest of the army.
Someday I might rebase everybody, but for now I’m telling myself that they’re tied in closely enough.