The Hell Hound Berserker is the last of my pre-Adepticon Relicblade purchase. He’s a nasty fighter, and comes with an upgrade to strike back while disabled.
As I was getting ready for Adepticon, I realized I didn’t have enough models for the large 150 point Relicblade game I had on my schedule. All I had was the two-player starter I bought last year, plus a Gnome Battlesmith on an Ibex. So with a few weeks to go, I placed an order and hoped it would arrive in time for my to get it painted up. Shipping was super quick, and I managed to stay focused and get it done.
First up in the ranger. I love this guy, although I’m pretty sure it would be hard to shoot the arrow how I glued the pieces together. Oops. I like doubling up on his bow with Quick Shot, and sending in the Sabertooth for a nice bonus to damage.
The Sabertooth is also great. At a bargain price of 5 points he can tie down a model and improve the Ranger’s shooting. My only problem with him is that as a Nature-only Companion, I need another Nature model if I want to take two. Of my collection, only the Ranger and Wild Elf Druid are Nature, and I don’t find I get great value out of the Druid. Maybe I should buy another Ranger.
The Lone Guard Warrior is actually quite similar to the Ranger, except he’s set up for melee instead of ranged. Each model got a different colored cloak, but share the burgundy red for shirts and other details.
Finally there’s Billman. I have a hard time fitting him into lists. Most of the advocate models are in the 20-25 point range, which means after upgrades you can fit about four per 100 points of list. But Billman’s 10 points. It’s quite awkward to try to fit it in without other cheap models to fill in the gap. The one game I took with him had a lot of wasteful upgrades.
From time to time I’ll reach into the hobby vault to feature models painted before I started this blog.
This Dreadnought is from the Assault on Black Reach set, the fifth edition starter box for Warhammer 40,000. It was among the first 40k models bought after my return to the hobby, though it one of the first to be painted.
It did represent one of my earlier forays into magnetizing, with both arms magnetized so I could put on Forgeworld autocannon arms or the multimelta/heavy flamer that came in the kit. The starter box had simpler models, so didn’t feature the fuller weapons set of the standalone dreadnought.
The basing is super simple, just a single green flock. I suspect I was in a rush for an event, or maybe just a game day, and never got back to it.
I’ve been eyeing these MDF kits from Sarissa for quite some time. I finally bought them to get to free shipping from a Warlord clearance sale. The rest of the purchase has been sitting sadly in a drawer, but at least these buildings got done.
I tried a new technique with these kits. I often feel like MDF kits end up really flat, To try to address it, I made washes out of acrylic, but then used it more like an oil wash. I first applied it really sloppy, then went back and softened the edges. I had to move quickly because the wood soaked up the moisture pretty quickly.
With this technique I managed to get a lot of variance of color, especially for shading in the inside corners, like the framing on the rice huts. I like the streaks on the roof, but there’s not enough variation.
I originally was eyeing these kits for Bushido, though I haven’t actually played it at all. I’m thinking it would also work for a fantasy setting like Relicblade.