Ultramarines: Assault Terminators Rebased

I bought these metal assault terminators back in the days of yore, and painted them up a couple years ago, when I got back into 40k.  At the time I left them on the 25mm bases they came with, but always felt a little dirty using them.  The time had come to make the move to 40mm, like modern terminators.

I was worried about them looking small on the new bases, so I decided to go for some Secret Weapon urban bases, like I used on the Deathwatch squad.

New 40mm bases
New 40mm bases

I decided to play with some weathering powders.  I was planning on putting some of the static grass and flock I use for most of the army, to bring it together, so put in some browns in a few places to represent dirt coming through the cracked asphalt.  I also tried putting some red around some of the bricks, to try to represent some bricks getting crushed and spread out, though I don’t think it really worked too well.

Assault Terminators

I snapped off the old bases and cut off the metal tab with a razor saw.  The feet needed a little touching up with black paint from where I cut. I found a spot on each base where the feet would be flat, and pinned them in.

Assault Terminatorsf

All in all I think they fill the base out pretty nicely, especially the lightning claws. Here you can see the static grass which hopefully ties it into the rest of the army.

Someday I might rebase everybody, but for now I’m telling myself that they’re tied in closely enough.

Updated September 2018 with improved images.

Reaper: Griffon

I’ve slowed down on the Random Rursday thing.  I found it had become something of a chore, and I stopped getting Thursday nights as reliable hobby nights.  I also found I wasn’t really giving enough time for paint to dry between stages.

I’m still painting some random miniatures between other projects, just without a specific schedule.

The Griffon is a Reaper Bones model.  I like the textures in the fur and in the feathers.  The base even is a bit more interesting than most of the Reaper models, with some stones sculpted in.


I regret not doing a bit more variation in the front section, especially on the wings.  This is a big enough model that it looks kind of sparse.  On the other hand, I’m not sure I wanted to spend much more time on this model.

I put some flock and static grass on the base, because I wasn’t very happy with how my painting of the grassy parts turned out.

Updated February 2018 with improved images.